2.11.12

Science of Spice Explained

PLEASE READ - IMPORTANT

After realising that I have little to no documentation of where or how I came about my concept 'the science of spice' I felt it appropriate to do an extended blog post showing the sources and inspiration for the concept in chronological order.

My initial idea for the brief was based around the complication of using and storing spices. This was the basic problem that I wanted to solve but I needed a concept as a vessel to communicate my solution.

It started in my dissertation research into typeface design and modernist approaches on typography...

Beatrice Warde - The Crystal Goblet, 1955
-
The most important thing about printing is that it conveys thought, ideas, images, from one mind to other minds. This statement is what you might call the front door of the science of typography.

This quote lead me to research into the word science after researching and understanding the science of cooking and using spices. It is a near perfect chemistry of mixing and experimenting.

Definitions of Science...
- A systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject
- A particular branch of scientific knowledge
- Ability to produce solutions in some problem domain
- knowledge accumulated by systematic study and organized by general principles

These definitions of science seemed perfect for spices given the aim / problem that I was aiming to solve with the brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment